Our services include:
- Developing monitoring and evaluation frameworks
- Conducting evaluations of policies, strategies and programs
- Developing evaluation capacity
- Conducting research, particularly to inform strategy development and subsequent evaluations
- Strategy development
- Organisational review and capacity development
Developing monitoring and evaluation frameworks
Development of a sound monitoring and evaluation framework provides a guide and a shared understanding between the evaluator, client and key stakeholders regarding the purpose, focus and conduct of an evaluation. We are experienced in development of monitoring and evaluation frameworks for initiatives of varying types, sizes and levels of complexity. This covers both one-off evaluations, and on-going evaluation systems. Common elements include use of a program logic to identify expected outcomes, generation of evaluation questions and indicators, and specifying means to collect and analyse information, and also reporting arrangements.
We have developed training programs on preparing monitoring and evaluation frameworks and delivered these for the Australasian Evaluation Society in Australia and New Zealand; at the American Evaluation Association conference; and also in the UK, Ireland, Cyprus, Papua New Guinea and Indonesia.
Conducting evaluations of policies, strategies and programs
Our approach to conduct of evaluations takes into account client needs and preferences, but typically involves assessment of the degree to which policies, strategies or programs have met their objectives and intended outcomes. We assess the appropriateness of the initiative to its objectives and stakeholder needs, and whether it has been carried out efficiently. We emphasise drawing on evidence from the literature and practice reviews to provide a benchmark for assessment, and identification and dissemination of learning. We are experienced with a range of evaluation approaches, methodologies and tools including:
- Evaluability assessment
- Assessment of current practice in a sector and literature reviews
- Participatory approaches
- Performance measurement and monitoring
- Qualitative, quantitative and mixed methods approaches
- Survey design, conduct, management and analysis
- Stakeholder interviews and case studies
- Conduct of individual and multiple case studies
- Governance reviews and assessment of organisational performance
Developing evaluation capacity
We assist both organisations and individuals to access knowledge and skills, and design and implement evaluations and evaluative approaches. More broadly, we provide support for organisations to develop and manage evaluation systems, and use evaluation to improve organisational performance, and promote learning. We provide mentoring and training, as well facilitating staff/stakeholder workshops on the:
- purpose and use of evaluation in specific contexts, such as evaluation of training initiatives, programs and strategies, and assessment of organisational performance
- developing monitoring and evaluation frameworks
- use of program theory and logic
- use of specific evaluation approaches and tools
We conduct research, particularly to inform strategy development and subsequent evaluations. We have extensive experience in identification of good practice and lessons learned across a range of professional areas, and in conduct of associated literature reviews. Such research may be carried out independently or integrated into a larger evaluation initiative. The products of this research are particularly useful to identify emerging thinking and successful strategies; and to focus evaluations, inform evaluation questions and provide benchmarks for evaluative assessment.
Following the conduct of evaluations or facilitating reflection on program or organisational performance, we may be retained by a client to assist with the revision of strategies or program designs. We also have experience in participation in program formulation roles within which we identify monitoring and evaluation needs and a suitable approach and methods for performance assessment and learning.
Organisational review and capacity development
We undertake organisational reviews covering functions such as strategy; governance and planning arrangements; program management; stakeholder engagement and public relations; and the role of monitoring, evaluation and learning. We assist in developing new organisational structures; plans and systems; and with training and mentoring of staff. Our intent is to promote alignment between different organisational functions and increase effectiveness.